November 17, 2010

Flicker

i don't know when i last wrote a poem, but i was bustling around yesterday and suddenly felt that old call, the urgency of words pushing against my hands. This is for my three friends, and for women.
----

Once a week for three weeks
my friends' babies died within them.

Pulsing energy
then lost in silence.
Searching on a screen
poised over a belly,
one, two, three.
Still.
My friends' hearts beating faster, faster,
then
slower,
stopped in agony and in empathy
with their little beloveds.
Shared blood, shared stillness.
Ringing ears giving way to
equal silence.

i remembered a woman in a small dark room
(i don't know why i forget her,
she always comes back to mind with urgency,
reminding me that i've forgotten)
with a screen poised over my belly
as she chatters, chatters, and then
silent.
Turning the screen to me-
breaking the rules-
she points,
pantomimes:
her hand presses her chest twice
then away
touches twice
then away-
thump/thump
thump/thump
my/child
bright/spark
alive.
i stared at the flutter on the screen but
i wanted to watch her-
this rogue stranger-
risking her security for my peace.
i don't remember her name.

i hold my boy to me when he cries,
our hearts facing,
rhythms different.
His doesn't stop, though mine often does.

i watch him when he sleeps,
so silent and still that
fear says
'He has slipped away.'
i do not breathe,
i press my hand to his chest-
in/out in/out
He is here.

i know he is a rare creature,
millions like him are born all the time,
millions of rare creatures
that kept pulsing
when their friends did not.

Every time a little heart stops inside a woman,
more than life is lost:
Peace is lost for every woman who knows.
There is no security
with a child inside.
Wild need of it makes us
break rules,
scrabble,
go rogue-
grip it when we can, give it as often.

i hold my boy to me when i cry
for friends of mine
who lost,
friends of his
who were lost,
for peace lost.

Beat/on.
Hold/fast.
Live/full.
Burn, spark.

No comments: