June 21, 2009

impressions on father's day

Kallie:
When we were little and my mom was out of town or had to leave really early in the morning my dad would be in charge of getting us ready for school and would try to do my sister's and my hair. i remember being amusedly baffled that the intricacies of the ponytail seemed so thoroughly beyond him since he was in all other respects Capable of Anything. (he couldn't seem to get the ponytail in place without lumps everywhere) Whenever he was in charge of dinner he would make pancakes. And more pancakes. With a pile of pancakes on top. It was an all-or-nothing production. An entire box of Bisquick or starvation. Three children can only eat so many pancakes. i'm pretty sure we're still digesting some of those pancakes to this day. My dad, the consummate athlete, ended up with 3 sportsless kids with nary a varsity appearance between them. He somehow got 3 theater geeks, but we were competitive geeks at least.

Josh:
My dad has a cool mustache. He would let me stay up late and watch tv with him if i'd snuck out of bed, but my sisters were always sent back to bed if they tried the same trick. He always tells the same 30 jokes. When i was really little we had matching cowboy boots and belt buckles that we'd wear to church. Every Saturday for years and years he'd get up early and have breakfast with my grandpa and my uncle at my grandma's restaurant. He's always been a prankster. One time he sneakily added an extra 'meal deal' to the sign in my grandma's restaurant, a steak-and-eggs deal for $3, and she didn't realize it until a customer ordered it. He used to draw faces on our fingertips and we had little finger people to play with. It was genius, kept us entertained forever.

Happy Father's Day to our dads and grandpas: Floy, Dan, Sam, Gary & Jerry!

1 comment:

JB said...

Pancake man says thanks for the memories